Early detection is key
Research shows that the earlier you can treat a child who has an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), the more progress you will see. Parents are usually referred to The Emerge Center by either a neurologist or pediatrician, though some parents have approached us directly. Generally, there is a concern about communication or social interaction. It is easy for parents to confuse ADHD or Asperger’s with Autism, therefore it is important that you have your child evaluated at the first sign of concern.
Symptoms of Autism To Look For
Some behaviors generally associated with an Autism Spectrum Disorder include:
- Not responding to his/her name
- Poor eye contact
- Missed or delayed communication milestones
- Problems interacting with peers
- Not following simple instructions
- Lack of interest in other children or trouble making friends
- Prefers to play alone or away from other children
- Problems transitioning between activities
- Difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep
- Difficulty in school or daycare
- Extremely picky eater/ Significant food selectivity
- Aggression toward others
If your child demonstrates any combination of these behaviors, it’s crucial that he or she is seen by a medical professional. Our licensed psychologists are available to conduct comprehensive Autism Evaluations.
The Next Step
If your child receives a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, the next step is to investigate therapy options for your child. Our social work team is your point of contact for admission to our programs. The first step is for the diagnosing professional to fax a referral directly to the Emerge Center indicating all appropriate services (ABA, Occupational Therapy, Speech-Language Therapy).
Once this referral has been submitted, a representative from social work will call you back within 2 business days to discuss our services and schedule you for a tour of our facility.
You can also schedule an appointment with one of our psychologists on staff for an evaluation.
If you have any questions, please call (225) 343 4232.